The discipline of Botany started under the umbrella of Biological Sciences in the Post Graduate College during 1970, and since then the subject matter of Botany is being taught as elective course for Bachelors of Science. The teaching of BS Botany, however, commenced from 2010. The Post graduate College for Women Sialkot was upgraded to GC Women University, Sialkot status in 2012. Various Botany courses were offered at BS (FYDP), M.Sc. and MS level upon the inception of University. Department now host large number of well experienced, highly qualified and research motivated faculty members. Our current focus is to engage students in academic excellence and applied research activities. The faculty research is specialized in various fields of Botany i.e. Mycology, Plant Systematics, Biotechnology and Biofuels and harness there search on emerging trends in Biology, ensuring that education is regionally important, nationally significant and globally relevant. The faculty has strong focus on engagements with industries and therefore relevant publications in subject matter related international journals with reputation and professional magazines are promoted. The courses offered provide students with strong knowledge, hand on experience and relevant industry experience equipping them face the current and future challenges. The contents of the studies are constantly updated and reviewed, to make it relevant to society, as per HEC’s recommendations. The Department has established strong reputation in a relatively short time period. Upon completion of the degree (BS, M.Sc and MS in Botany) the graduates pursue the careers in the field of applied Botany including Agriculture, Horticulture & Landscaping, Agriculture Educational Institutes, Forest Agencies, Nature Conservation, Environmental Protection Agencies, Food Industries, and Herbal and Medicinal Plant based industries.
The department of Botany was established at GCWU Sialkot in 2010. The great nations in the world are known by their language. Basically all these are the ingredients which constitute a nation. The Botany department is responsible to make the students good human beings who are fully aware of their own culture, values and traditions.
The postgraduate (M.Sc.) classes were started in 2015, BS (Hon) Botany, four years degree programs was introduced by the HEC in 2010 M.S programs were initiated in 2015. Ph.D. program is going to be offered for the first time this year (2018).
Our aim is to provide quality education is a peaceful academic environment that fosters integrity, tolerance and human values.
Special award/ recognition from HEC or related statutory body:
1. Dr. Zarrin Fatima Rizvi
- Awarded Research Productivity Award (RPA) from PCST 2011 and 2012. (G category)
- Best Teacher Award from UNESCO at AIOU.
- Received Role Model Women Award at Islamabad 2017.
- One week workshop on “Entrepreneurship and Professional Grooming” organized on Nov. 14 – 18, 2016 at Syndicate Hall, GC Women University, Sialkot, in collaboration with Higher Education Commission (HEC) Pakistan.
- Included in Productive Young Scientist Directory at serial #896 PCST (Pakistan Council Scientific & Technology 2010- to date
- Member: BOD Sialkot Waste Management since 2017.
- Participating in “Two Days Orientation Program for Newly Established ORIC Personnel” 03–04 May 2017.03–04 May 2017.
- Training on Institutional Strengthening Program “GEP Partners USAID Aurat foundation” on February 20 – 24, 2017 at Institute of Business Management, Karachi.
- Training workshop on “Application and Optimization of Methane production by Common Agricultural Wastes” from 14-23 October at Lanzhou University China and Department of International Cooperation, Ministry of Science and Technology (MOST) China.
- Won Grant 0.2 million SPSS and NVIVO Software (Focal Person As Well). Training on SPSS((PHEC): – 40 faculty members and students are trained under the grant of Punjab Higher Education Commission (PHEC) during June 03, 2016 of GC Women University Sialkot.
- National Training Workshop on Nano-materials and One Day Symposium on Nanotechnology Research in Pakistan at NIBGE on 7-9 November 2016.
- Published three international research paper affiliated with GCWUS.
- Entrepreneurship Workshop for Scientists & Engineers, for Development – International Conference and Entrepreneurship Workshop. Workshop June 2-8 2014 honor issuer American Embassy (USAID) and NUST University Islamabad the date this honor was bestowed June 2014.
- Department of Botany of Government College Women University Sialkot organized a One Day Seminar on “Breast Cancer Prevalence, Prevention, Research Treatment and Phytomedicine” in collaboration with ORIC – GCWUS. Mr Akram Chaudhry, CEO of Allama Iqbal Welfare Foundation and senior leader of PTI was the Chief Guest. Dr. Fazilat Aslam was the stage secretary, Dr. Aftab Ahmed, was the first speaker who gave a thorough session on the causes and symptoms of general cancer while emphasizing on lungs cancer.Dr. Zarrin Fatima Rizvi who was also the focal person of this seminar, delivered the next session on Phytomedicine comprehensively
2. Dr. Robina Aziz
- One week workshop on “Entrepreneurship and Professional Grooming” organized on Nov. 14 – 18, 2016 at Syndicate Hall, GC Women University, Sialkot in collaboration with Higher Education Commission (HEC) Pakistan.
- Two days training on “Development of Effective and Efficient Career Counseling Centre” on 20-21 March, 2017 organized by Institute of Management Science, Peshawar with collaboration of Higher Education Commission (HEC) Pakistan.
3. Dr. Noreen Khalid
- Got Travel Grant from PHEC to present research at 15th International Phytotechnology Conference 2018 in Novi Sad, Serbia (2018)
- Got Travel Grant from Higher Education Commission of Pakistan to present paper at ICOET 2017 in USA (2017).
4. Dr. Mehmooda Munazir
- Curriculum Orientation Workshop on ‘Botany’ organized by HEC Islamabad, held at HEC regional center Lahore, 26-28 November, 2018
5. Dr. Zohra Kabir
- Awarded as a HEC Certified Master Trainer in training on “Faculty Professional Development Program” organized by LID, Higher Education Commission, Islamabad held on 21st March-11th May, 2017.
- Selected by Higher Education Commission of Pakistan as Consultant for Scientific Methodology in Teaching profession by LID, Higher Education Commission, Islamabad in 2017.
- International Training on “Good Governess Strategies in Higher Education Institutes” from 26 April to 2nd May 2018 at Tusside Turkey.
- Training on “ Dynamics of Inspired Teaching” organized by QEC at 19 March 2019 at GC Women University Sialkot
6. Dr. Fazilat Aslam
- Attended “Curriculum Orientation Workshop on Botany” organized by HEC Islamabad, held at HEC regional center Lahore, 26-28 November, 2018.
- Organized and hosted One Day Seminar on “Breast Cancer Prevalence, Prevention, Research Treatment and Phytomedicine” in collaboration with ORIC – GCWUS.
Area of specialization in teaching and research of the academic department/ centre:
- Plant Physiology
- Plant Microbe Interaction
- Medicinal Plants
- Stress Physiology
- Plant Systematics and Biodiversity
- Molecular Biology and Genetics
- Plant Biotechnology
- Plant Tissue culture